Let’s face it, life is full of pain! Headaches, back aches, cranky joints, injuries old and new, no matter the source of the pain, nature has given us some powerful remedies for that pain. Here are the 10 Natural remedies I find most effective for managing pain.
1. Peppermint Oil- My general go-to oil for a variety of things, peppermint oil has some powerful pain killing powers. Peppermint oil can be used topically neat or diluted in a bit of carrier oil or as a hot compress. Use cautiously in summer as it makes you more sensitive to sun exposure.
2. Turmeric- Most pain is caused by inflammation. That makes turmeric, with its amazing anti inflammatory powers a heavy hitter when it comes to controlling inflammation based pain. Taken as a supplement or a tea, it can reduce daily pain from chronic conditions.
3. Heat/Ice- Both tried and true, heat and ice can both be useful in soothing pain. Ice is best used for new injuries or to calm inflammation. Heat can be used to soothe aching muscles and painful joints, though caution should be used when heating already inflamed joints, as it can increase inflammation as well.
4. CBD/Marijuana- Illegal in some state, controversial in others, marijuana and marijuana based CBD oils have gained popularity over the past decade as their pain control properties have become more widely recognized. Available in a variety of forms, with properties that also treat ailments such as lack of appetite and insomnia, this medicinal plant is a serious heavy hitter.
5. White Willow Bark- Used for centuries for its pain relief and anti inflammatory properties, the bark of the white willow tree contains salicin, also found in Aspirin. Available as a tincture or tea, also wonderful as a compress, this bark is an excellent pain remedy.
6. Yoga/exercise- I know, you hurt, the last thing you want to do is move! Unfortunately/fortunately most sources of pain will be helped by gentle movement and exercise! A little bit of yoga or other gentle exercise everyday can help heal a painful area. Be sure to check with your doctor and start small!
7.Arnica- The flowering herb arnica is an excellent pain remedy. It has been used for centuries as an internal or topical pain remedy. Available now in a variety of creams and oils, it is excellent for relief of arthritis, muscle pain, bruises and sprains.
8. Capsaicin- Derived from peppers, capsaicin is a wonderful pain blocker. Used topically, it stops pain signals from being sent to the brain. Capsaicin is found in a large number of well know products including Icy Hot.
9.Rest- Pain signals are often a sign from our body that the area crying out is in need of rest, so don’t ignore them! Taking it easy for a few days can allow tissues to heal and prevent further irritation that leads to a more permanent injury. So, listen to your body! Take it easy on sore, swollen parts!
10. Water- Is she serious? I’m in pain here and she wants me to drink water??? Yes, yes I do! Water is more important than we give it credit for. The average person needs 64 oz of water a day. When you are hurt, you need more, because water is how our body cleans out waste and toxins! Waste increases when your immune system is working to heal something. Increasing water intake helps your body clear out the garbage and nourish cells. So drink up!